The capital has escaped a winter weather travel advisory in effect for much of the Ottawa Valley Wednesday but there’s another 2 to 4 cm of snow in the forecast with the risk of freezing drizzle.
The advisory was in effect for Barry’s Bay – Killaloe, Petawawa – Pembroke – Cobden and Renfrew – Arnprior – Calabogie due to an expected 5 to 10 cm of snow and reduced visibility.
“Many parts of eastern Ontario have received a new blanket of snow,” East Region OPP warned. “Give yourself extra time and following distance, keep headlights turned on and clear snow from your ENTIRE vehicle. ”
In Ottawa, periods of snow are expected to end in the afternoon with the risk of freezing drizzle late in the afternoon. The forecast high is 1 C, according to Environment and Climate Change Canada.
Skies are expected to clear Wednesday evening with a low of -2 C.
Mixed skies are forecast to turn cloudy at about noon Thursday with a high of 5 C and a low of 3 C.
Friday’s forecast features a high of 8 C and a low of 6 C. There’s a 40 per cent chance of showers during the day and a 60 per cent chance overnight.
There’s a 60 per cent chance of showers Saturday with a high of 7 C and a 70 per cent chance of rain for New Year’s Eve. The forecast low is 2 C.
New Year’s Day is expected to be cloudy with a 60 per cent chance of rain during the day and a 60 per cent chance of rain showers or flurries Sunday night. The expected high is 4 C and the low is -2 C.