Wednesday, March 29, 2023
HomePolitics newsHoliday travel Tuesday: snow then risk of freezing drizzle, Via resumes service...

Holiday travel Tuesday: snow then risk of freezing drizzle, Via resumes service but predicts ‘congestion’

Article content

With getting home for the holidays still underway for some stranded travellers Tuesday, more snow is on the way for Ottawa overnight with the risk of freezing drizzle Wednesday.

Article content

Via Rail said it plans to run all trains between Toronto and Ottawa and Toronto to Montreal Tuesday, combining 28 trains into 14 departures.

Article content

But Via warned that because of “expected congestion,” passengers may face “significant delays” either setting off or on their travels. Passengers with tickets for Tuesday can cancel online for a full refund. And all passengers who were booked on cancelled trains Dec. 24-26 will be automatically refunded.

Trains between Toronto and Ottawa and Toronto and Montreal had been cancelled since Christmas Day. Via blamed the cancellations on a CN train derailment on Saturday.

The City of Ottawa lifted the significant weather event status Monday but said staff were still working to get sidewalks, roads and the winter cycling network back to normal.

Article content

Snow squall warnings continued Tuesday for parts of Ontario, including Sault Ste. Marie – Superior East, Grey – Bruce and Parry Sound – Muskoka.

For Ottawa, periods of light snow are expected to end Tuesday morning on the way to a high of -5 C under mainly cloudy skies.

Periods of snow are expected to start after midnight and add up to 2 to 4 cm with a low of -8 C, Environment and Climate Change Canada predicted.

Periods of snow Wednesday morning are expected to add another 2 cm, then there’s the risk of freezing drizzle early in the afternoon as the mercury rises to 0 C.

There’s a 30 per cent chance of flurries Wednesday night with an expected low of -3 C before the forecast turns slushy.

Thursday is expected to reach 6 C with an overnight low of 4 C and a 40 per cent chance of showers.

Friday’s forecast features a high of 9 C with a 40 per cent chance of showers during the day and a 60 per cent chance Friday night. The expected low is 5 C.

“Normals” for this time of year are highs of -5 C and lows of -14 C.

Source link



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments