Published on June 3, 2016
If you or your family are moving (or have moved in the past 60 days), you may still be able to enroll in affordable family health insurance this year through a
Starting July 2016, in most cases, you must prove you had
for one or more days during the 60 days before your move.
Depending on where you move, new health care options, prices, and savings may be available to you. In most cases, you’ll have 60 days from your move date to enroll in new coverage or change plans.
Moves that qualify for a Special Enrollment Period
- Moving to a new home in a new ZIP code or county
- Moving to the U.S. from a foreign country or United States territory
- A student moving to or from the place they attend school
- A seasonal worker moving to or from the place they both live and work
- Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing
Not sure if you qualify?
Moving isn’t the only
that qualifies you to enroll in a plan outside the Open Enrollment Period. You may also be eligible if you’ve had other life changes — like getting married, having or adopting a baby, or losing coverage you had from a job.
Learn more about getting coverage outside Open Enrollment.