Published on August 25, 2016
When you enrolled in Marketplace coverage, you may have chosen a health plan that included dental coverage or purchased a separate, stand-alone dental plan.
Here are some tips to make sure you’re getting the most out of your dental insurance.
Know what services your dental plan covers
- Even though many dental insurance plans cover common dental benefits — like fillings, cleanings, care to fix decayed or fractured teeth, and dentures — different plans cover different services.
- Some dental plans only cover children and others cover families.
- Check with your dental insurance company to find out what’s exactly covered.
Understand your out-of-pocket costs
- With a high coverage level, you’ll have higher but lower and . So you’ll pay more every month, but less when you use dental services.
- With a low coverage level, you’ll pay less every month, but more when you get services.
Find a dentist that’s right for you
- Not all types of providers take all insurance plans or types of coverage. Call the office before you go to make sure they accept your coverage.
- When you make your appointment, have your insurance card or other documentation handy and know what services you want to get.